290: Red Storm Rising

Number 290
(0.3 points)
Red Storm Rising
1991: 98

Based on the 1986 Tom Clancy novel of the same name, this simulation puts you in charge of a US submarine engaging your Soviet counterparts - and 'simulation' is the operative word.

The game was designed by Sid Meier for the C64, and this Amiga port is just as pretty. The game eschews fancy graphics and sound for an accurate simulation of piloting a massive hulk through the water, searching for the enemy, firing torpedoes and the like. You have a keyboard overlay to attach to your Amiga, and you're going to need it, because controlling this beast is going to need a lot of buttons. Microprose became known for more 'mature' games (if you catch my meaning), so this will certainly satisfy anyone who would love to see what engaging in naval warfare is really like.

Personally, I don't think I'll be getting into this one too much. Having to read a 100-plus page manual just to know the basics is a real turn-off, and clearly I'm not the target audience for a sim like this. Sure, I've tried a few sims in the past, and if you can really get into them, I'm sure they're a lot of fun. But I'll leave this one to the experts.

Recommended TOSEC disk(s):
Red Storm Rising v843.02 (1990)(MicroProse)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr SR]
Red Storm Rising v843.02 (1990)(MicroProse)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr SR]

Comments