150: Populous

Number 150
(22.1 points)
Populous
1991: 6 (9.5)
1994: 80 (12.6)

Here's a strange one: Populous was replaced by its sequel after its first appearance in 1991, then reinstated for 1994, before being replaced again the following year. Perhaps there's a lot of similarity? Let's find out.
One of the first titles to popularise the term 'god game', Populous sees you watching over a group of your own people, in opposition to another group of people. You can raise and lower the land, command your people, cause earthquakes, and other things that a god can do. The game was very influential and led to other entries in the genre from different publishers.

Alright, I'm gonna throw my hands up again and admit that I didn't have the patience to get into this one. I know how popular it was back in the day, but I didn't play it then and I don't have much desire to get into it now. The Amiga's low resolution and slow speed makes navigating the world a pain, and the gameplay just didn't grab me enough to make me want to persevere. Don't let my opinion put you off, though, maybe there's something to try here, but I feel that subsequent titles have improved on the formula.

Recommended TOSEC disk(s):
Populous v2.7 (1989-03-17)(Electronic Arts)[cr VF - Bencor Brothers]

Comments