127: World Class Rugby: Five Nations Edition

Number 127
(37.4 points)
World Class Rugby: Five Nations Edition
1993: 79 (8.8)
1994: 85 (9.6)
1996: 82 (19.0)

There are two notable rugby games on the Amiga. This is the other one.
Taking its cues from John Madden Football, World Class Rugby has a greater tactical focus than Rugby: The World Cup, as you have a large selection of strategic moves and formations to use. There are different match types you can play, and the graphics, while not necessarily so smooth, are detailed. The game received two very different reviews: 63% on initial release, and 88% after its re-release, indicating the divisive nature of the game's style.

Although the two reviews described the regular game, the first two appearances in the Top 100 explicitly mentioned the Five Nations Edition, though I don't see a big difference. I mentioned last time that I know little about rugby, but Rugby: The World Cup was immediately accessible to me and was quite fun. This is a different kettle of fish, as I very quickly found myself confused about how to play, and when I first saw the screen with tactical options, I was taken aback - I'm not a Madden fan, and this is clearly trying to turn rugby into gridiron. Maybe a hardcore rugger tactician who wants to look at an older game might enjoy this, but I turned it off pretty quickly.

Recommended TOSEC disk(s):
World Class Rugby - Five Nations Edition (1992)(Audiogenic)[cr NMS]

Comments