111: Fly Harder

Number 111
(43.4 points)
Fly Harder
1995: 88 (10.4)
1996: 68 (33.0)

Inertia-based thrust games, they don't come around very often, and they're a bit of a love/hate thing. Guess which side I find myself on with this?
Your task is to guide your rocket-powered ship to pick up some silver-coloured balls and take them to an electrified sphere. Making the task more difficult are the physics of both your ship and the balls themselves, along with parts of the scenery which can destroy the balls, forcing you to go back and collect another. There are also other things shooting at you, which you can dispatch with your laser, but they respawn after a short time.

I don't think any game on this list has frustrated me more than this one. I couldn't get past the second level, as it seems almost impossible. The combination of watching your inertia, controlling the wild swinging motion of the silver balls, and avoiding obstacles that can destroy your ship in no time, it all builds to a nightmare experience for me. Give me Solar Jetman on the NES any day, that's a much more forgiving approach to this style of game.

Recommended TOSEC disk(s):
Fly Harder v1.00 (1994)(Starbyte)(Disk 1 of 2)[t +5 Dynamix]
Fly Harder v1.00 (1994)(Starbyte)(Disk 2 of 2)
Fly Harder (1993)(Buzz)[!] (CD32)

Comments