11: Syndicate

Number 11
(223.6 points)
Syndicate
1994: 9 (55.2)
1995: 8 (74.4)
1996: 7 (94.0)

A later release, but three top-ten rankings is nothing to sniff at, and it means this sci-fi dystopian real-time strategy very nearly cracks the top ten of my list.
You take over regions of the world using a team of cyborgs, armed with various weaponry and gadgets. As you conquer areas, you tax the residents and use the proceeds to fund research into better cybernetic technology, and of course, more weapons. The main game is played in an isometric view, as you guide your team of four agents to accomplish different tasks, usually involving killing people, or sometimes persuading them to join you.

As with a few games on this list, I played this on the PC, and a damn fine time I had, too. I don't remember getting all that far into it, I just had enough fun running my cyborgs around causing mayhem, but there's an actual serious game in there too, and it's a lot of fun. If I'm honest, I'd prefer the PC version today as the graphics are a touch sharper and don't seem to run at a weird speed, but either version is good.

Recommended TOSEC disk(s):
Syndicate (1993)(Electronic Arts)(M3)(Disk 1 of 4)
Syndicate (1993)(Electronic Arts)(M3)(Disk 2 of 4)
Syndicate (1993)(Electronic Arts)(M3)(Disk 3 of 4)
Syndicate (1993)(Electronic Arts)(M3)(Disk 4 of 4)
Syndicate (1995)(Mindscape)(M3)[!] (CD32)

Comments